Sunday 6 November 2011

Vegetable Stew

This is the easiest side dish that I have ever made. It take only 15-20 minutes to make. This is used as a side dish for Aappam. I have made some changes to recipe to suit my taste.



Ingredients

1 Onion cut into big pieces (1 cm by 1 cm)
1 Potato boiled and cubed. (I cook it directly on a plate in microwave for 5-6 minutes turning once in between)
2-3 Cups Mixed vegetables. I used some frozen vegetables - carrots, peas, cauliflower

1 can Coconut milk (fresh coconut milk, if prepared makes it taste so much better)

3 green chillies slit

1 tsp turmeric
1 tbsp fresh ground pepper
1 tsp cumin powder

For tempering
2 cloves
2 star anise
1 small bit cinnamon
1 bay leaf

oil and salt to taste

Method of preparation

1. Heat oil in a pot and add the ingredients under tempering and saute for a few seconds till the aroma comes

2. Add the onions and green chillies. and saute till onion is translucent. No need to brown them

3. Add the mixed vegetables (if uncooked, let it cook. Frozen thawed vegetables need only a couple of minutes)

4. Add the potatoes

5. Add turmeric, pepper powder and cumin.

6. Add salt to taste.

7. Pour the coconut milk and bring it boil. Switch off immediately. You should not boil for a long time after adding coconut milk

Enjoy with hot Aappams.

2 comments:

  1. Ah...my favorite! Mom makes it with just onion and potatoes and they taste divine

    ReplyDelete
  2. rajani - my mom also used to make with just potatoes. I guess that is more popular version. I used the veg to reduce potatoes :-)

    ReplyDelete