Sunday 13 November 2011

Idiyappam

Idiyappam is a typical Kerala Breakfast. There is a reason I tried making Idiyappam today. We used to buy the Dried Chinese Rice Noodles (which you can soak in boiling water for just 2 min). That used to be our way of eating Sevai. Used to make all different varieties like lemon, coconut etc. And if we fancied Idiyappam, we just used to eat that with Kurma.

Husband dear usually is very adjusting when it comes to food. Almost always says the food is good. And almost always forgets that I have made that dish before. (This blog is going to come handy for that! I have proof that I made it before). Anyways, when it comes to Rice Noodles, he insists that he does not like the Instant version.

When my mother in law was visiting, I insisted that this one makes good sevai. Since we did not have a seva nazhi, she agreed to try it. She used to make so many varieties of sevai that we conveniently forgot that this is not the real deal. When she went back to India, she declared - when I come next time, I am going to bring a Seva Nazhi. I am glad she said that. I have changed my mind about this issue. I will somehow procure a Seva Nazhi.

For Idiyappam, there is hand nazhi available. But my mom used to make it with the one used for making omapodi.


When I made this, it tasted so good. Only problem was, it was very difficult to press it down. I had to recruit my husband to help. There are a couple of things I forgot to do. That could be the reason it was difficult to press. More on this later :-)



Ingredients

Rice Flour 2 cups
Salt
Coconut
oil

Method of Preparation

1. Dry Roast the rice flour. (I forgot to do this).
2. Boil 2 cups of water in a pot and switch off gas.
3. Add salt and 2 teaspoons of oil to the water ( I forgot oil)
4. Add the rice flour to the boiling water and stir.
5. Transfer to another vessel and kneed with hand to make dough


6. Grease idli plates and add some coconut to each plate


7. Grease the Nazhi

8. Take a small portion of the dough in the Nazhi and press into the idli plates. When I found it difficult to do it, I recruited my husband to help. Remember that it is easier to press down when the dough is warm



9. Steam in a cooker for about 8-10 minutes.

10. Serve with curry of choice. Goes well with Kurma or Stew


No comments:

Post a Comment