Wednesday 23 May 2012

Sambar for Tiffin

I learnt this recipe from my MIL's sister when she visited us in my MIL's house. She is an amazing cook and I still have the task of calling her to get a few of her amazing recipes. She made this for us for breakfast and we loved it. I had made notes on a paper as I did not have my recipe book with me at that time. I totally forgot about it. Found it last week inside a book and I knew I had to make it with my Masala Dosa.

When I talked to Chitti sometime ago, she told me how she and chittappa check my blog frequently. I felt so happy!!



Ingredients

Onion 1
Tamarind / Puli 1/2 tsp
Toor Dal 1/4 cup

Oil and Salt to taste

To Roast and Powder

Channa Dal 1 tbsp
Coriander Seeds 1 tbsp
Fenugreek Seeds (Vendayam) 1/2 tsp
Cumin/Jeera 1 tsp
Red Chilli 2
Coconut 4 tbsp

To Make into Paste
Onion 1 big
Tomato 2

Method of Preparation

1. Heat a pan and dry roast all the ingredients under to roast. When it is reddish brown, powder them and keep aside. I do all the ingredients except coconut first and then go for coconut after I remove them.

2. Heat oil in the pan. Add the onions. Saute till it starts to change colour. Add tomatoes and cook till it starts to cook. Remove from fire. Cool and make into a paste.

3. Cook the toor dal in a pressure cooker till it is mushy and well cooked.

4. In the same pan, heat oil. Add the second onion sliced. When it starts to brown, add the spice powder, tomato-onion paste, puli, cooked dal and salt. Stir and bring it to boil.

5. Simmer for sometime.

Serve with Idli or Dosa. We enjoyed with some masala dosa



I like Masala served separate as I feel it makes the dosas a little soggy



Linking this to Walk thru Memory Lane event by Gayathri  hosted by Jayanthi

12 comments:

  1. Very simple recipe for break fast

    ReplyDelete
  2. simple and delicious sambhar..

    ReplyDelete
  3. quick n simple sambhar........

    ReplyDelete
  4. such an easy and delicious sambar recipe

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can two more idlis with this super yummy sambar,delicious..

    ReplyDelete
  6. delicious looking tiffin sambhar....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Super delicious Sambar....love the combo of dosa and sambar and you've made masala dosa, I don't I can ask for anything more. Love it totally. Hey, Thanks for linking to WTML event & giveaway Jayanthi (www.sizzlingveggies.com)

    ReplyDelete
  8. sambar with freshly ground spices is my fav one...yours sounds so falvorful n yummy! with dosa looks tempting :)
    Spicy Treats

    ReplyDelete
  9. same pinch dear..a lovely coincidence..a posted a similar recipe..
    your version sounds awesome too..:)
    Tasty Appetite

    ReplyDelete