Monday 19 December 2011

Vazhakka Bajji

Vazhakka (Raw Banana or Plantain) Bajji (fritters) reminds me of my college days. I used to be a day scholar, did not live in a hostel and commuted in the college bus. The last class ends at 3:45 and the bus leaves at 4. That does not leave enough time to go get some snack before boarding the bus. So the best days when the last hour is free or if the class gets over early or when we cut that class :-) We used to go hangout in the canteen. The tea and snack and all the chit chat was fun. Vazhakka Bajji, Pazham Pori, Parippu vada - wow!!

Another thing that always makes me wonder is how people eat their snack and tea (coffee). I always read at the end of your posts - enjoy with a hot cup of tea :-) My husband and most tamilians I have observed, enjoy eating their bajji (or any tiffin or snack) and then finish off with coffee. I love eating my snack and tea together. 'Kadiyum Kudiyum' - loosely translated as bite in one hand and drink in another. How do you enjoy yours??



Ingredients

Vazhakka (I used long big one) 1
Chickpea Flour (Besan) 1/4 cup
Maida 1/4 cup
Rice Flour 1/2 cup
Chilli Powder 1 tsp
Hing
Baking soda a pinch
Salt to taste
Oil for frying

Method of Preparation

1. Mix all the ingredients other than oil in a bowl.

2. Add water and make a thick paste.

3. Cut the vazhakka into thin slices or circles. Mine was a long big one, so I decided to just cut in circles along the length. Typically it is done in long slices. No need to peel it. The peel tastes really good in the bajji.

4. Heat the oil for frying. Dip the cut Vazhakka and drop a few into the oil. Fry well on both sides and remove.

5. Repeat for the rest of the Vazhakka. Same can be done with potato, onion, egg plant etc.

My son was not interested in waiting till the photos were taken. :-)



1 comment: