Tuesday 31 July 2012

Butter Naan



Making Naan has been in my list of things to do for some time now. I once tried it before and was not very successful. This time I followed the recipe from Vah re Vah. I have given the ingredients and steps that I followed below. For a video of how to make it, please do check the Vah re Vah link.

I am now planning to make other variations like Garlic Naan in the future... Stay tuned!



Ingredients

All Purpose Flour / Maida 3 cups
Fast acting instant Yeast 1 tsp
Salt 1 tsp
Sugar 1 tsp
Warm Milk 1 cup
Oil 2 tsp
Water about 1/2 cup

Butter to spread

Method of Preparation

1. Mix the milk, water, oil, salt, sugar and yeast.

2. Take the APF in a bowl. Add the liquid to it mixing with hands. The dough will be very sticky.

3. Apply a layer of oil on the top. Keep closed with a damp towel for about 15-20 minutes.

4. Punch the air out and separate into 6 big balls. Dust with some flour to help handling of the flour. Cover again with damp cloth for another 15-20 minutes.

5. Preheat the oven to max temperature for about 20 minutes. My oven heated to a max of 230C.

6. Roll the dough with hand or with a pin. Toss it in your hand a little. Check the video in Vah Re Vah for a beautiful demo.

7. Place in a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for 2-3 min on one side. Flip and bake for another minute or 2. Though mine cooked in 2+1 minutes, it did not get a brown colour. So I tried baking a little longer 3 + 2 and got a nicer colour.



8. Spread butter on top as soon as you take it out of the over and serve with some yummy punjabi dishes.. Do check out my recipe index for an array of North Indian Sides!!!

Verdict : We really loved it. Though it is not the best Naan that I have eaten, it was soft and I do not have to go to a restaurant to eat Naan. My husband said "This tastes better than most restaurant Naans available here".




Linking this to I love Baking
Linking this to Celebrate - Olympic games Event by Jagruti, hosted by Priya

9 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks amazing Rosh!! Have you tried radhi's yeast-less Naan?? I got amazing Naan out of that! :)

    Bake Fest Event & Giveaway!
    Foodomania!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey did I miss any of your posts???
    Naan looks awesome...would love to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. well-made..looks very perfect and soft..
    http://www.indiantastyfoodrecipes.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. loved the colour and texture..nice recipe dear!

    ReplyDelete
  6. same pinch dear..
    wow..yous looks amazing too
    Tasty Appetite

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful Naan..Deliciously done!!

    ReplyDelete