Friday 20 July 2012

Kumbakonam Kadappa

I saw the recipe for Kadappa in Radhika's blog. I knew I had to try it cause my husband spent a good portion of his childhood in Kumbakonam and this is my treat to him. I did not deviate much from Radhika's recipe.



Ingredients

Moong Dal 1/2 cup
Potatoes 2
Onion 2
Garlic 5 pods
Turmeric 1 tsp
Cinnamon 1 inch Stick
Cloves 3
Lime Juice 2 tsp
Curry Leaves few
Coriander Leaves To garnish

To make paste

Pottu Kadalai 1/4 cup
Poppy Seeds 2 tsp
Green Chillies 4
Coconut 1/4 cup
Garlic 4 pods

Oil and Salt to taste

Method of Preparation

1. Cook the Moong Dal in a pressure cooker till it is cooked well. Boil the potatoes and crumble them.Grind and make a paste of 'to make paste' ingredients adding enough water.

2. Heat oil in a pan. Add the cinnamon and clove. When it sizzles, add sliced onions, garlic  and curry leaves. Saute till onion is browned.

3. Add the cooked dal, crumbled potatoes and ground paste. Add salt and mix well. Bring it to a boil and simmer for a little bit till the raw smell of garlic goes off.

4. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve with idli, dosa or puri.

Standard combo is with idlis but it tasted amazing with puris as well.



Linking this to Show me your hits - lentils and legumes. Event by Sangee, hosted by Nalini

11 comments:

  1. That's a finger licking traditional recipe Roshini....

    http://recipe-excavator.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Though I have seen the recipes for this in few of the blogs I follow, I haven't tried it yet...looks very delicious.
    And Like your new template

    ReplyDelete
  3. My grandma's signature dish, love it simply with hot steaming idlis.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yum!!
    http://shwetainthekitchen.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh My, last pic is so beautiful and makes me so hungry. My younger one too loves to have it with puris only.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow!It is a colourfuldish.and very deligious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tried this with idly......trying is not as imp as the response from hubby or amrita.....fingerlicking delish!!

    Chappathi came out well too finally....no phulka though...but atleast much better than being a papad...

    Thanks akka!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tried this with idly......trying is not as imp as the response from hubby or amrita.....fingerlicking delish!!

    Chappathi came out well too finally....no phulka though...but atleast much better than being a papad...

    Thanks akka!!

    ReplyDelete