Saturday 14 July 2012

Oats Pongal

It was quite interesting for me to make Oats Pongal. We eat oats quite often in our home. We cook oats, mix with some soya milk and raisins and enjoy a warm porridge. Occasionally, I add some apples or bananas to the oats. I love eating Oatmeal Raisin Cookies (my fav cookies, yet to make it- some day soon) and oatmeal bar. But never made or tasted anything savoury with oats.

When I told my husband I wanted to try making Oats Pongal for the Magic Mingle event, he gave me a look. It took me a week to convince him to let me make it.

Do you ever get scared of adding sugar to a curry or salt to your tea. I always keep them in different kinds of bottle and double check before adding. Today my hands were shaking when I was adding salt to oats. Something felt wrong.

Verdict - My little one refused to eat it. I said try it first and then if you don't like it you don't need to eat it. He tried a couple of spoons and then said a No. I first felt it was no different from the regular pongal. But as I kept eating it, I was not too sure :-) Husband felt it was ok and said he would not mind if I made again. So I guess though there are people out there who love oats in Indian savoury breakfast, it is not for our family.

I was not sure if I wanted to post this. But then I thought, it tasted as it should and it is a recipe. Just cause I don't like something is not a reason for not posting. :-) So here you go. Do let me know if you have ever tried making Indian tiffin with oats and how your family likes it



Ingredients

Oats 1 cup
Moong Dal 1/2 cup
Pepper 1.5 tsp
Cumin 1 tsp
Cashews few
Ginger a small piece finely chopped
Ghee 1 tbsp

Method of Preparation

1. Pressure cook the moong dal with enough water.

2. Heat 2 cups of water in a pot. Add the oats when the water comes to a boil. Cook till the oats is almost done.

3. Add the cooked moong dal and some salt. Cook till it starts to come together. Switch off.

4. Crush 1 tsp of pepper and the cumin in a mixie to a coarse paste. In a separate pan, heat some ghee. Add the cashews. When they start to roast, add the ginger and cumin-pepper powder and the rest of the whole peppers. Add to the oats and mix well.

Serve with some chutney or sambar.


Linking this to Magic Mingle #7
Linking this to Show me your hits - lentils and legumes. Event by Sangee, hosted by Nalini

9 comments:

  1. I can have this pongal without any hestiation even after my dinner tonite,live it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Roshini ,

    Looks Delicious!!!

    Fibre rich food !!!

    Keep on Dear...

    www.southindiafoodrecipes.blogspot.in

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awwee... Dont worry Roshni .. it does happen with all of us.. But good you showed Courage to post the recipe even you didnt like much. Not everyone does that, you know.

    Cheers
    Nupur

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have tried oats pongal before and did not like it. Also tried idlis which didn't turn out well either. The only savory item with oats which I like is the Oats Dosa which I make once in a while...But, we have oats daily in form of porridge. That's our breakfast almost everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love oats pongal, healthy and great for a quick breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  6. looks like regular pongal.. perfectly done.. even my hubby doesn't like oats.. but i force him to eat it :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. A simple and so healthy recipe..will try this sometime..

    ReplyDelete