Thursday 12 July 2012

Vaangi Bath

Though I have heard and read recipes before for Vaangi Bath, I realized that I have never eaten it. My mom usually experiments with dishes and rices from different regions. Still she also has never made it. My husband is not a big fan of Eggplant, except for Eggplant Sub and so I rarely make anything with it.

This happened just out of chance yesterday and I am glad I tried it. We all enjoyed this rice a lot. Before making I just went online and checked some recipes. I really liked Sangeetha's recipe. I almost made it similar way adjusting the spices according to our needs.

At first when I looked at it, I thought it almost like tomato rice. Will it taste different. I was so wrong. It has a very distinct taste. Yumm yummm..... Even my husband loved it...



Ingredients

Kathirikka/Eggplant/Aubergine/Brinjal 2 cups
Rice 1.5 cups
Mustard 1/2 tsp
Channa Dal 1 tsp
Split Urad Dal 1 tsp
Curry Leaves 1 spring
Onion 2
Tomato 1
Chilli Powder 1/2 tsp
Coriander Powder 1 tsp
Cumin Powder 1 tsp
Turmeric 1/2 tsp
Garam Masala 1/2 tsp

Oil and Salt to taste

Method of Preparation

1. Cook the rice in a pressure cooker. I used basmati rice and cooked with 1:1.5 water for 3 whistles. Take it out and transfer to a wide bowl or plate. Let it cool. This way when you mix the rice it will not become mushy.

2. Heat oil in a pan. Add the mustard. When it sputters, add the channa dal and urad dal. When they start to brown, add the curry leaves and onion.

3. Saute onions till it is slightly browned. Add the eggplant. and toss well for a few minutes.

4. Add the tomatoes and the masalas - Chilli Powder, Coriander Powder, Cumin Powder, Turmeric and Garam Masala. I was making a very mildly spicy rice. Adjust according to your taste.

5. Mix well along with some salt. Add 1/4 cup water. Close the pan and simmer till the eggplant is cooked well.

6. Switch off and mix the rice.

11 comments:

  1. awesome...looks so delicious.
    http://indiantastyfoodrecipes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. delicious and full of flavor..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfectly prepared. good clicks Roshni!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice and SO flavourful rice...will try for sure..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, looks good, would make a simple and flavorful lunch box item. Lovely space you have here. :)

    http://foodoverip.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much Roshni for trying out n for your feed back too...yours with long grain rice looks so inviting...well made!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Roshini ,

    vaangibath looks mild and delicious !!!

    Neat presentation Roshini:))

    Keep on Dear...

    www.southindiafoodrecipes.blogspot.in

    ReplyDelete
  8. Super flavourful one pot meal.

    ReplyDelete