Wednesday 25 January 2012

Pal Payasam

Growing up I was a big fan of Semiya payasam. Did not care much for pal payasam. Though my mom used to make tons of different payasams for different occations, she always made me my favourite - semiya for my birthday. Oh I miss my mom :-( I wish she was there with me to share this fun times.

Over the years, I have developed a love for Pal payasam. But every time I try to make it, it kind of resembles pal sadam. Not sure if you guys have eaten Pal Sadam as kids. Its nothing but, rice, milk and sugar mixed when it is all warm. So imagine how I feel when my payasam resembles pal sadam.

This time, I checked with my friend C. She mailed me the recipe. I did not have all the ingredients required. So I just worked with what I had. But it turned out good this time.




Ingredients

Rice 1/4 cup
Milk (2%) 5 cups
Condensed milk 3/4 cup
Ghee 2 tbsp
Cashews few
Raisins few
Chopped almonds few
Cardamamom Powder 1/2 tsp

Method of Preparation

1. Heat a pan and add the ghee to it. Add the cashews and fry till starts to brown. Take out and keep aside.

2. Add raisins to the same ghee and fry and add to the cashews.

3. Add some chopped almonds as well to the cashews. Keep them aside to use at the end.

4. In the same ghee, add the rice and fry till it is nice and pink.

5. Add milk to it and cook while stirring till the rice cooks well. I cooked till the rice was a little hard and not too mushy.

6. Add the cardamom powder and condensed milk.

7. Switch off and Add the cashews, raisins and almonds.

Pal Payasam/Rice Kheer is ready to be served.

5 comments: