Tuesday 24 January 2012

2 in 1 - Egg curry and Veg curry

My husband likes eating eggs. I used to eat egg before. But for some reason, it does not sit well in my stomach these days. So I rarely buy it at home. I had picked up a pack a couple of days ago for some recipe and it was sitting in the fridge. I did not want to waste it. But I did not want to make 2 curries as well. So I prepared the below recipe. You can do either one as well. Both tasted good.

The curry as you will notice will be prepared in the same steps till the last step. Then I will tell you the slight difference :-) I had my roti with veg curry and my husband enjoyed his egg curry!!





Ingredients

Onions 2 + 1
Tomato 1
Coconut 1/4 cup
Ginger 2 inch pieces
Garlic pods 4
Mustard 1/2 tsp
Jeera 1 tsp
Turmeric 1/2 tsp
Chilli powder 2 tsp
Garam Masala 1 tsp
Hot water 3 cups

Method of Preparation

1. Roughly chop 2 onions, tomato, ginger and garlic.

2. Heat oil in a pan and add the onions. Saute till it is translucent and then add the ginger, garlic and tomato. cook well.

3. Let it cool and then grind into a fine paste.

4. In the pan, add some oil and add some mustard.

5. When the mustard sputters, add jeera. let it sizzle and add the 3rd onion sliced.

6. Saute till it is slightly browned. The add the turmeric, chilli powder and garam masala.

7. Boil 3 cups of water and add to the above along with the paste. Add some salt as well.

8. Once it boils the gravy is ready.

When I made it, I split it into 2 bowls. If you are making just one (as a normal household will need), choose one and proceed.

For half of the above gravy (double the vegetables or egg if you are making just one version)

Veg curry
Steam 2 cups of mixed vegetables and mix into the gravy





Egg curry
1. Boil 4 eggs and keep ready

2. Slit the eggs and I roasted the eggs in a little oil. You can skip and cut the eggs and add if you want.



3. Add to the gravy.




6 comments:

  1. its really a wonderful twist.....lovely idea....superb

    ReplyDelete
  2. rosh, i can't believe that you stopped eating egg and meat :-)) you are becoming a pure vegeterian !! this gravy looks so yummy and i feel like having it now. miss you dear !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you used coconut here?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Unknown, yes..1/4 cup coconut. check the ingredients....

      Delete
  4. Rosh - Tried this today. Came out decent. I should've let the gravy thicken a little more. My egg curry was watery but I left the gas on sim for the vegetable. Vegetable curry tasted better.

    ReplyDelete