Thursday 5 January 2012

Kuzhi Paniyaram

I enjoyed Paniyaram for the first time at a friends place. They are from a chettinad village near karaikudi. It was so good. No words can describe paniyarams - crispy on the outside and spongy on the inside. As I have already mentioned, I am not a big fan of Idli (yes yes I know, I am not allowed to say that out loud). But Paniyarams are one of my favourites.



When I googled for recipe, most websites/blogs mentioned about using idli batter. I decided to double check with my friend. She asked her mom and she gave me a slightly different combination. So I decided to go with their recipe as it is their traditional tiffin. Thanks Nachal and Muruga.




For Preparing the batter

Ingredients

Boiled Rice/Idli Rice 2 cups
Raw Rice 2 cups
Urad dal 3/4 cup
Fenugreek seeds 1 tsp

Method of Preparation

1. Soak the rice and dal along with methi seeds in a vessel for 5-6 hours.

2. Grind them together into a fine paste. I feel that grinding in a Grinder makes idli, dosa, appam, paniyaram etc taste better. It comes softer that way.

3. Do not add a lot of water. Just add enough to keep the grinder going. Grind till it is smooth. It took me about 30 minutes in my grinder.

4. Pour into a big vessel, mix salt. There is another theory that mixing with hand is better for fermentation. Not sure how far this is true. But I always follow it.

5. Keep it for 12 -24 hours till it ferments and rises. It takes longer here the temperature in now around 5 C. The batter is ready for tempering.




For Tempering

Ingredients

Onion 1 very finely chopped
Green chillies
Curry Leaves

Mustard 1 tsp
Jeera 2 tsp

Method of preparation

1. Heat oil in a pan. Add the mustard.

2. When it sputters, add the jeera, curry leaves and green chillies.

3. When it sizzles, add the onions and saute till it starts to brown.

4. Mix with the batter.

Method of Preparing Paniyaram

1. Heat the paniyaram pan.



2. Optionally add a little oil to each hole. The one I used was non stick. So I made some batches with a little oil and some with out.

3. When the pan and oil heats, add the batter into each hole. Fill a little over 3/4 the hole. It will be easier to turn that way.

4. Cook till one side is browned. Turn and cook the other side.

5. Repeat for the rest of the batter. Enjoy with Chutney of your choice. Tastes great with Tomato Chutney.





Linking this to Lets Cook - Rice event hosted by Radhika
Linking this to Walk thru Memory Lane hosted by Gayathri

Linking this to New Year New Dish by Nupur
Linking this to Cooking Challenge - flavours of Tamil Nadu by Vidya











7 comments:

  1. Kuzhi paniyaram with spicy garlic chutney is my all time fav, well done Roshni.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paniyarams look so delicious and thanks for linking...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought I followed you but seems I did not now I do. Lovely clicks Roshni. Feel like grabbing for one off the screen. Thanks for linking it to the event.

    ReplyDelete
  4. very cute,spicy and delicious paniyaram ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute and delicious paniyarams

    ReplyDelete