Saturday 17 December 2011

Coconut Rice

Do you guys believe that the pregnancy craving is really the baby wanting specific things or the hormone high mom craving for food? I always used to believe that it is the mom. She is going thru a lot and her hormones are high and she wants to find comfort in food. Boy, was I wrong.

When I was pregnant with my little one, or even before that I had made big plans to eat a lot of my favourite stuff. Ripe Mango, Ferroro Rocher, Vendakka (Okra) curry. My husband even got me this huge box of Rocher. I had one from that and did not touch it after that. My son took over from that point. Orange was my favourite fruit (eww). Carrot the vegetable. Oh and I did crave for a lot of Coconut rice. I remember one of my colleagues' wife sent me a separate box for lunch. That could be cause a week before that I finished his lunch and he had to go get himself a sandwich.

You might be wondering what is the point of this story. I made coconut rice yesterday after a long time. My son loved it soooo much. It made my day!!!





Ingredients

Rice 1 cup
Coconut 1 cup
Mustard 1/2 tsp
Hing
Cashew few
Channa dal 1 tsp
Urad dal 1 tsp
Curry leaves few
Green chillies 1
Red chilli 1
salt
oil

Method of Preparation
1. Cook the rice with enough water and transfer to a vessel to let it cool a bit.

2. In a pan heat some oil. Add mustard seeds. When it sputters, add the cashew, channa dal and urad dal and roast till slightly browned.

3. Add the red chillies, green chillies and curry leaves and after a few seconds add the coconut and sauté till it is slightly red.

4. Switch off and let it cool. Mix the rice and salt. Enjoy!!


3 comments: