Thursday 22 December 2011

Cabbage Thoran

Cabbage Thoran (Cabbage Stir Fry with coconut) is a post to try and show the Kerala way of making Dry curry with coconut called Thoran. As I have already told you before, though I am a Tamilian and love all Tamil dishes, I have a soft corner for anything from Kerala.

A few months ago when my brother (who is younger than me) came to visit, he volunteered to cook for us. I was all glad to give up the job. So he used to make dinner when I was in office and I would make the lunch for the next day. We all loved the food he cooked. For that matter, I was getting a little jealous. He was making things better than me. His food was done in Kerala style and spicy, just the way I like it.



Ingredients

Cabbage (I used half a small cabbage) finely chopped
Onion 1 finely chopped
Coconut 1/2 cup
Green Chillies 3 (adjust as per your need. I just used 2 cause of my son)
Jeera 1 tsp
Turmeric 1/2 tsp
coriander powder 1/2 tsp
Mustard 1/2 tsp
Curry Leaves few
Garlic 1 clove

Salt and Oil to taste

Method of Preparation

1. Add coconut, jeera, green chilli, garlic into a mixer and grind into a coarse paste without adding any water (just pulse a little).

2. In a pan, add oil. Add the mustard seeds. Let it sputter. Add the curry leaves and after a few seconds, add the onion and saute till it is slightly browned.

3. Add the cabbage and cook till it is almost done.

4. Add the ground coconut mix, salt, turmeric powder and coriander powder. Cook till the cabbage starts to brown and the raw smell of garlic and coconut is gone.

Serve as a side for rice. The same recipe can be used for any vegetable like beans, carrot, beetroot etc.

If I were making in Tamil style, I would probably skip the onions, garlic, coriander powder. Also I would not grind the coconut with jeera and chillies. But even in Tamil cuisine there are lot of styles. 

1 comment:

  1. awesome thoran

    Aarthi
    http://yummytummy-aarthi.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete