Sunday 4 December 2011

Methi Khakra

Methi Khakra recipe is a dedication to my mom. She is a tamilian who lived in Gujarat till she married my dad. Though she loves Tamil, her first love was Gujarati. When she married my dad, she moved to Kerala. She adopted the new home as well. She learned the language. She used to make a lot of Kerala, Tamil and North Indian dishes at home.

In Kerala it is difficult to find a Gujarati speaking person. When we go to the Padmanabha Swami temple, usually she runs into some Gujarati speaking family. She gets super excited. And always gets into a conversation with them, giving them tips of a localite!!

Every time she made Rotis at home (which is almost everyday), she used make Khakra for me and my brother. We used to call it Biscuit Chapati. I made this Khakra today and the way my son enjoyed it, I really remembered the fun days with my mother. Miss you :-(

The method of making starts like that of Methi Roti. You have to just toast till the right hardness


Ingredients

Whole Wheat Flour 2 cups
Methi leaves 1 cup (I used half a big bunch), finely chopped
Ajwain 1 tsp
Chilli powder 1 tsp
Cumin 1 tsp
Turmeric 1 tsp
Salt 1 tsp
Hing a little
Oil 1 Tbsp


Method of Preparation

1. Take all the ingredients in a bowl

2. Mix by adding water little at a time to make dough like for Chappati. Split into 12 small balls. While making I felt I should have split into smaller balls. Cause to press down on the whole surface was difficult with bigger roti.

3. Roll each ball into a circle like you do to make regular rotis. Make very thin roti to get crispy Khakra. Prepare all the balls and keep it in a paper towel or kitchen counter.

4. Put each one in the tawa and press down with a towel. I heard there are presses available in India. Never used them. Make sure that the roti does not puff up.

5. Turn to the other side and do the same. Keep pressing till it get nice and hard like a Khakra.

Enjoy the guilt free snack with a cup of tea!!

4 comments:

  1. have bookmarked this...looks very yumm

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didnt know that your mom was from Gujarat. Aunty would have been happy to see your son enjoying this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys!! Yes rajani, amma grew up in Ahmedabad. we used to go there for summer vacations.

    ReplyDelete