Friday 16 December 2011

Spicy Kathirikka Kari

This is a totally sinful recipe for Kathirikkai (also known as brinjal, eggplant, aubergine - wow different english names in all the countries we have lived). You will see when you read the recipe why it is sinful. But, I will tell you why I made it like that.

Before that, I need to tell you my history with Kathirikkai. Growing up, the rule in the house (my dad's rule) was that we were not allowed to say "I don't like it" for anything that my mom made. But just for kathirikka my mom used to make another curry so that I can eat just a little kathirikka. I am sure our dad knew this. But he never insisted.

When I went to live in Chennai, there were 2 girls in our house who loved Kathirikka. So both of them will pick up some on the way back from work. That meant that we will have Kathirikka atleast twice every week. I learnt to tolerate it.

Now comes my husbands story. He says he does not like Kathirikka. He does not eat it when his mom or I prepare it. We are ok with that. But when we go somewhere and someone prepares it, he leaves every other curry and just eats this. This has happened many times. Once when we were camping a friend made some on the grill, other time at friends home she had made this amazing dish. I asked him to atleast try once at home. He kept insisting that he does not like it.

I decided to take charge today. I did not want to try any complicated recipe. All I wanted to prove to him was that the regular spicy kathirikka that we make is one of the best dishes :-) With that mission, I set out to make it today. I am usually a little stingy with oil, spice level and salt though I love all the 3 in my dishes especially hot food. Today I liberated the inner demon in me. He ate the curry with warm rotis and accepted that not only was it one of the best Kathirikka dishes, but one of the best dishes. See what the simplest dishes can do when you let out your inner demon.


Ingredients

1 Big Kathirikka - thinly sliced. I did not even have the yummy small Indian variety. I used the huge British variety.
Onion 1 big finely sliced

Mustard 1tsp
Jeera 1 tsp

Chilli Powder 1 tsp or more if desired
Turmeric 1/2 tsp
Hing - little

Generous supply of Oil and salt to taste

Method of Preparation

1. Heat oil in a Pan. How generous - just be generous beyond your imagination and add the mustard. When it sputters, add Jeera. When it sizzles, add the Turmeric Powder and Hing.

2. After a few seconds, add the cut onion and sauté till slightly browned

3. Add the cut kathirikka, chilli powder and salt. Mix well and cook till the kathirikka is done stirring in between. Do not let the vegetable mush up.


Linking this to Sinful delights hosted by Vardhini




5 comments:

  1. That's very true,I too only like aubergine when I prepare with little extra oil..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks so delicious and tempting.. thanks for sharing !!
    Indian Cuisine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Curry looks yummy and yeah I indulge sometimes too when I am bored of thinking healthy :) Thx for linking to the event.

    Vardhini
    Event: Sinful Delights
    Event: Stuffed Paratha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Vardhini for the event. I just saw that you are also hosting the stuffed Paratha event. I have a couple of stuffed Paratas this month. Will link soon.

    ReplyDelete