Sunday 18 December 2011

Sweet Idli


I have a huge love for anything sweet. That is not to say I don't love anything savoury. I do love them as well. I love food :-) Anyways, coming back to my love for sweet things - I really love the instant sweets that you can make. I always try to make something while making salt version of the tiffin items like sweet wheat dosa (with wheat dosa), kesari (with upma), sweet aval (with poha), chakkara pongal(with venn pongal). My husband broke my heart today when he told me that he does not necessarily care for the sweets made with Jaggery. He eats them fine. So how was I supposed to know he did not care for them. So I asked - do you not like it or you don't care for them? Thankfully he said - I don't care for them. That means I can make it once in a while :-). So my plans for making Ada Pradaman are shelved for a little while now.

My mom used to make this amazing thing which till a few days ago I thought was called Kinnanappam. But a discussion with a fellow blogger made me realize I was after a wild goose chase. I did not know the name of the recipe. I did not know what the flour used was. All I remember is that she used to make it with Jackfruit and it had jaggery in it. It is not the therali appam or the elayappam. I love those 2 very much. So anyways, knowing fully well that I am not making what she used to make,I pulled out a vessel and started adding all the things that I felt like adding. The result was an idli that I really enjoyed. And though my husband broke my heart saying he does not care for stuff with Jaggery, he ate more idlis than me.



Ingredients

Wheat Flour 1 cup
Jaggery 1/2 cup
Cardamom 1/2 tsp
Raisins 1/4 cup
Banana 1 big one
Coconut 3 tbsp
Ghee for greasing the idli plates

Method of preparation

1. Melt the jaggery with 1/2 cup of water and let it cool.

2. Take the wheat flour in a vessel. Mash the banana and add it the flour.

3. Add the melted jaggery to it and make a dough. Add enough water. Keep is really thick.

4. Add the raisins, coconut and cardamom powder. Mix well.

5. Grease the idli plates with some ghee and pour the batter into it. Steam for 8-10 minutes. Enjoy this yummy and healthy sweet. It is not a very soft idli. It will be a little hard, tasty nevertheless.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Roshini, this is such a delicious recipe..I love anything that is sweet..I love these yummy idlies..you have wonderful recipes and happy to be your follower...do drop in at my blog too..

    ReplyDelete
  2. my grandmother made the said idli with jackfruit and we used to call it "chakka idli".. and my brother loved it.. she used the same batter to make chakka adai also.. but she wudnt grind the jackfruit.. instead she wud cut them into small pieces.. and the taste of jackfruit in between used to be amazing.. will try to get the recipe from my periammai

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sangeetha - the aim of posting was the hope that someone will find me the recipe that I am looking for. Please do try and get the recipe that you are talking about. would love to try it.

    ReplyDelete