Wednesday 7 December 2011

Mysore Rasam

Rasam is such a simple dish, yet it comes in more varieties than you can imagine. I am usually lazy and make 'my version' of rasam. Will describe it one day, cause usually it is a big hit. But my husband asked me the other day - why don't you try some other rasam. So I decided that I will try out a different rasam each time I make it.

I picked Mysore Rasam because that is my favorite rasam of all the rasams my paatti (grandmother) makes. Every time we used to go for holidays, she will make a different kozhambu and rasam everyday. This post is dedicated to her.



Ingredients

Tomato 2 cut into cubes pieces
Toor dal 1/4 cup
Tamarind 1/2 tsp
Hing
Coriander leaves a little


To be ground to a powder
Oil 1 tbsp
Coriander seeds 1 tbsp
Channa dal 1 tsp
Pepper 1 tsp
Red Chillies 2

For Tempering
Mustard 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves few

Butter(or ghee) and Salt to taste

Method of Preparation

1. Cook the toor dal with enough water in a pressure cooker. People usually keep it along with rice on vessel on the top of the rice vessel. Whisk it and dissolve in the water.

2. Heat the oil (1 tbsp) and roast the channa dal. When it starts to brown, add the coriander seeds, pepper and red chillies. Fry for a couple more minutes and set aside. Powder when cooled.

3. In a pot, take some water (around 4 cups) and add the cut tomatoes and tamarind paste. Bring it to boil. Cook till the tomatoes are almost done.

3. Add the powder made in step 1, the diluted dal water, salt, hing. Bring it to a boil. Switch off immediately after it starts to boil and froth starts to appear.

4. Heat butter (ghee) in a small pan and mustard. When it sputters, add the curry leaves and transfer it into the rasam.

5. Garnish the rasam with coriander leaves. Enjoy with rice and a dry curry. My favourites are potato or okra.


5 comments:

  1. Very delicious ans authentic recipe.. looks absolutely perfect.. thanks for the wonderful recipe :)
    Indian Cuisine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect with Rice....my comfort food...lovely recipe..this looks yumm

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super comforting rasam..inviting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice recipe. Reminds me of home. I need to know how many people this recipe serves (how many servings) as I have to prepare it for 30 guests.

    ReplyDelete