Friday 23 December 2011

'How to name it' curry

Ilayaraja (Raja) needs no introduction to a Tamilian. But for those of who don't know he is one of the greatest music directors that Tamil Film Industry has seen. My husband and I are still very old fashioned when it comes to our taste of music. We are still in the Raja era (70s and 80s). My Hindi music is still in the Rafi era (50s, 60s and 70s). Though our knowledge of music (as in Raaga and taala etc) is nil, we enjoy listening to film songs. Our son shares our love for music.


Raja in late 80s made a fusion music instrumental Album called 'How to Name it'. Not sure what his thought process was when he named it like that. If you have not listened to it, do check it out. It is pretty good. He also has another  instrumental album called Nothing but wind.

When I was trying to cook something today, I was not sure what I was making. When my son asked me 'Amma what you making?', I did not know what to tell him. Cause I did not know 'How to name it'. Dedicated to Music Genius Ilayaraja. Comment on what your fav Raja movie or song is... Though difficult to select mine has to be Mandram Vantha Thennalukku from Mauna Raagam.




Ingredients

Cabbage 1 cup chopped
Carrot 4 grated
Potato 2 boiled and mashed
Onion 1 finely chopped
Coriander leaves
Besan (chickpea flour, kadala maavu) 2 tbsp

Coriander seeds 1 tbsp
Jeera 1 tsp
Pepper 1 tsp

Method of Preparation

1. Dry Roast the Coriander seeds, Jeera and Pepper. Powder and keep aside

2. Heat oil in a pan and saute onion till it is slightly browned.

3. Add the cabbage and carrots and cook till it is almost done.

4. Add the mashed potatoes and besan. Cook for a few more minutes till the raw smell of besan is gone.

5. Add the ground powder, salt and a little water. I made a think gravy. So did not use much water. 

6. Simmer and garnish with coriander leaves.

Great way to finish off my left over cabbage and carrot.

2 comments:

  1. Haha,the name of the dish itself looks attractive, for me its looks exactly like kootu but without dal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes priya, kind of kootu only. but onion and besan was new in this one. and ofcourse coconut is missing :-) Name is just to add fun :-)

    ReplyDelete