Saturday 24 December 2011

Spinach with Peanut and Channa Dal

Growing up I remember that, I always used to like Spinach. But lately I have realized that I am not a big fan of it. Am wondering if it the kind of Spinach I used to get US and now in UK that has changed my opinion. Anyways, I am in a venture to make different dishes to make me like it cause I cannot set a bad example for my son :-) That quest brought me to this recipe on the internet. I forgot to note the source and since I did not bookmark it, I have made my own changes to it. It is quite simple to make. Bad photo! :-(



Ingredients

Peanuts 1/2 cup
Channa Dal 1/2 cup
Spinach (I used a big bag of spinach, may be around 4-5 cups when chopped)
Tamarind paste 1/2 tsp
Turmeric Powder 1/2 tsp
Besan (chickpea flour) 2 tbsp
Hing
Garam Masala 1/2 tsp
Chilli Powder 1 tsp
Jaggery (optional) 1 tsp
Mustard 1/2 tsp
Jeera 1 tsp

Method of Preparation

1. Soak the peanuts and channa dal together overnight. Pressure cook for 2 whistles. It should be cooked well, but not mushed up

2. Chop the spinach and add to a pot with 1/2 cup water and turmeric powder.

3. When it starts to wilt, add besan and smash and mix well. Cook till the raw smell is gone.

4. Add the cooked peanuts and channa dal, salt, chilli powder, garam masala, jaggery (if using), tamarind paste and hing. Mix well. Add water if necessary.

5. Bring it to a boil and simmer for a little while.

6. Temper with mustard and jeera. Serve with roti or rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment