Friday 9 December 2011

My Mom's Tomato Rice

Tomato rice is such a simple dish and every one has their own way of making it. Subtle differences to the otherwise standard fare.

When I started writing the blog, one of friends from college days asked me - "Rosh can you recreate your mom's tomato rice. I just cannot seem to recreate that taste". I started thinking. The way I usually make it is not the way my mom used to make. But I knew I like the way my mom made it. Then I realized the difference between mine and hers is that hers was simple. I add too many things to my version (all garam masala items, aachi biryani masala). So here is my mom's version of tomato rice.



Ingredients

Basmati Rice uncooked 3 cups
Tomato 5 cut into big pieces
Green Peas 1/2 cups (I used the frozen one, you can use the dried one as well)
Onion 2 big finely sliced
Green Chillies 2-3 slight length wise
Ginger small piece grated or finely chopped
jeera 1 tsp
mustard 1 tsp
cashew few
chilli powder 1 tsp
Turmeric powder 1/2 tsp

Coriander leaves to garnish

Oil and Salt to taste


Method of Preparation

1. Cook the rice with enough water and transfer to a vessel to let it cool a bit.

2. In a pan heat some oil. Add mustard seeds. When it sputters, add the cashew and roast till slightly browned.

3. Add the jeera, turmeric powder and after a few seconds add the onions and sauté till it is slightly browned.

4. Add the ginger, chillies and tomatoes. Cook till the tomatoes are done, but they retain their shape.

5. Add the green peas, chilli powder and salt. Cook for a couple more minutes.

6. Mix the rice and garnish with coriander leaves.

Oh! I did add a star anise and cinnamon today. Could not stop myself.

5 comments:

  1. Nothing will beat mom's dishes na, tomato rice looks super delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. first time here....
    tomato rice looks delicious...
    glad to follow u :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mom's rec is always the best...yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i also get complaints that i do all recipes the same way - bcos i can not resist myself adding all the ingredients that i like and it turns out all to be with the same taste :-) rosh, i am so proud of you that you are trying out many varieties and i am inspired !!

    ReplyDelete