Friday 16 December 2011

Carrot Parata

I was running out of ideas of what I wanted to make. I know I could go online and check some blog and find a recipe. But most things require prep work and it was already 5 in the evening when I started making plans for dinner. So I resorted to my next best way to decide what I wanted to make. Open the fridge and stand in front of it for a few minutes. I almost always forget what I was standing there for. Then close the fridge. Come back to the living room. Sit in front of the Laptop. Check this and that. Then I remember - dinner. Run back to the kitchen. This time, I found a bag of carrots.

I could make carrot curry and rasam and we can eat with rice. For those of you who might remember, my husband is not a great fan of rice. (Yes, I still cannot believe it). So if I really need to make something that he will feel good eating I have to make roti. Suddenly I decide - let me make Parata with carrot. Ok, no time to go online to get ideas. It's already 6. So I just do what I feel like. The result was not bad and it is definitely different from the usual Carrot Parata recipes.

Note that I have used carrot alone. So there is no binder. You could use some potatoes as well. Also, I have used raw carrots. So it was very juicy and it was spraying juice when I was rolling if I were not careful. So be mindful of that.


Ingredients

Whole Wheat Flour 1.5 cups
Carrots 3 grated finely
Coriander Seeds 1 tbsp
Channa Dal 2 tbsp
Pepper 1 tsp
Turmeric 1/2 tsp
Salt
Oil 1 Tbsp
Ghee for spreading on Parata.

Method of Preparation

1. Prepare the wheat flour by adding some salt, turmeric, oil and water like you would for making roti. Keep it wrapped for a couple of hours. Split into 6 small balls

2. Grate the carrots finely and keep aside.

3. In a pan, dry roast the channa dal. Remove and then roast the coriander seeds. The roast the pepper. Grind all of them to a fine powder and add to the grated carrots.

4. Add some salt as well to the carrot and mix well. The stuffing is ready to be used.

5. Roll each dough ball into a very small circle. Place the vegetable mix in the centre and pat it down.

5. Roll the sides of the dough to close the vegetables. Flatten, dust with wheat flour and roll into thin paratas.

6. Put it on the tawa and spread some ghee on each side and cook.

Enjoy with Raita (or plain yogurt) and pickles!!

No comments:

Post a Comment