Thursday 1 December 2011

Methi Malai Mutter

As I mentioned in the post for Curry Leaf Powder, the trip to the Indian Store meant that I have picked up a lot of stuff. The local Indian store's stock is not that fresh and I go there only for an emergency. I try to stock up once a month from Hounslow.

Methi was so cheap and fresh, I could not resist picking it up. (I still have a couple of bunches of coriander leaves that I am yet to decide what to do. Better do something soon before it wilts away). So it was Methi Mania today. We had Methi Malai Mutter and Methi Roti. In my son's words - today amma has made special roti and special dip dip dip (his word for side dish) :-)


Ingredients

Methi Leaves 3 cups chopped (I used 1.5 big bunches, the other 1/2 went to the roti)
Frozen Peas 1.5 cups (I heated in microwave for about 7 minutes)
Onion 1 big finely chopped
Tomato 2 finely chopped
Ginger, garlic, green chillies all finely chopped
Mustard 1 tsp
Jeera 1 tsp
Turmeric 1 tsp
Chilli powder 1 tsp
Cumin powder 1 tsp
Coriander powder 1 tsp
Garam Masala 1 tsp
Hing

Whole milk or heavy cream 1.5 cup

Oil and Salt to taste

Method of Preparation

1. Heat oil in pan and add the mustard. When it sputters, add the jeera, turmeric and hing.

2. When it sizzles, add the onion, Ginger, garlic and green chillies.

3. When the onion is browned, add the tomatoes and cook well.

4. Add Chilli powder, Cumin powder, Coriander powder, Garam Masala and salt. Saute for a minute.

5. Add the methi leaves and cook for a couple of minutes.

6. Add the green peas and cook for few more minutes.

7. Add the milk and simmer for 5 more minutes.

Yummy Methi Malai Mutter is ready to be served. Enjoy with Roti or Pulao rice. We had it with Methi Roti today.

Linking this to MLLA 42 (Susan's My Legume Love Affair Event), this month hosted by Kiran of Sumadhura


Linking this to CWS - Peas by Priya of Priya's Easy and Tasty recipes.

13 comments:

  1. Wat a wonderful looking methi malai mutter,would love to have with some rotis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Priya! Thanks for all the wonderful comments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks awesome and creamy Roshni..:) Perfect with warm rotis and pickle..:)) Very nicely done and captured..:)
    Reva

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks really good, beautiful clicks too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks so yummy, will try sometime and let you know. Good job !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sree - try and let me know. This tasted like restaurant dish. I could not believe it..

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so tempting :) 'll try this & let you know ..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Roshni, I did try this today and it came out so yummy .. Thanks for the recipe .. wait for the pictures that I am planning to upload to my blog .. Also, let me know if its okay to link to your blog for the recipe ..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Sasi for the feedback. Would be great if you link my blog. Thanks! Looking forward to seeing your entry

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh forgot to tell you, I made these and the vatha kuzhambu from here sometime back. both the recipes came out well!

    rajani

    ReplyDelete
  11. Rosh - Just tried this.. Methi leaves(frozen) was sitting in my freezer for a while now ever since I saw this recipe. Finally made it today and came out yumm!.. This is the first time I am making something with Methi.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks dhan.. try the other methi dishes in the blog as well..

      Delete